Career brewmaster and business owner Christina Owczarek was walking in downtown Calgary after an event on Tuesday night and noticed a unconscious man. Without hesitation she stopped to help.
“He was laying down, just over the top of the parking barricade. I used the CPR mask that was in my naloxone kit. He was able to come to,” Owczarek said.
“As soon as the sirens were heard — he must have been alerted to them — he stood up.”
Alberta Health Services reviewed the call and said an ambulance arrived within minutes. But overall, officials acknowledge there has been a steady increase in calls for ambulances, contributed in part to drug overdoses.