Advertisement

House fire in Kelowna’s Black Mountain area sparked by candle

File: Kelowna Fire Department. Global News

A candle left unattended in a Black Mountain area home offered a less than soothing experience Thursday.

At approximately 4:30 p.m. Thursday, a bedroom of a single-family home located in 1400 block of Mine Hill Lane in Kelowna’s Black Mountain area, was called in to the dire department.

John Kelly, Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain, said that crews entered the home and discovered a small fire on the dresser in the front bedroom.

Click to play video: 'Penticton Fire Department understaffed and overworked' Penticton Fire Department understaffed and overworked
Penticton Fire Department understaffed and overworked – Sep 20, 2022

“The fire was quickly extinguished,” Kelly said, adding later, “Please remember to exercise caution when using candles and not leave them unattended.”

Read more: Kelowna senior considers living in car after losing everything in fire

“The home was then ventilated of residual smoke. Damage was contained to the bedroom. The fire was accidental, and there were no injuries to report.”

Three engines, a rescue unit, a command vehicle and 17 personnel were dispatched to the fire.

Click to play video: 'Close call for a Kelowna man injured in fire highlights importance of smoke detectors in bedrooms' Close call for a Kelowna man injured in fire highlights importance of smoke detectors in bedrooms
Close call for a Kelowna man injured in fire highlights importance of smoke detectors in bedrooms – May 31, 2022

 

Sponsored content