Saint-Laurent warehouse that stores raw materials for COVID-19 supplies destroyed by fire

Click to play video: 'Ongoing investigation into PPE manufacturing plant fire in Montreal'
Ongoing investigation into PPE manufacturing plant fire in Montreal
WATCH: Clean-up efforts continue after a major fire ripped through a commercial building in Montreal’s Saint-Laurent borough. The three-alarm blaze destroyed almost all of the contents of two companies, one of them a major manufacturer and distributor of COVID-19 protective gear. Global's Tim Sargeant reports.

A three-alarm fire that ripped through a building in the Saint-Laurent borough on Monday has been destroyed.

MedSup Medical, a manufacturer and wholesaler of medical protective supplies, including masks, gloves gowns and COVID-19 rapid tests, lost its warehouse that housed raw materials and some finished products in the blaze.

“Our team is dedicated to making sure all the production will keep on going smoothly,” Éric Ethier, president of MedSup Medical, told Global News.

Read more: Quebec lost almost $1B on COVID-19 protective equipment, auditor general says

Read next: Former Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion dies at 101

Ethier insists there is no disruption in the supply chain to the company’s clients. The president says MedSup Medical has other warehouses and is in the process of opening a new one near its manufacturing plant.

“It doesn’t affect our production capacity, our production schedule or distribution and there was no finished product at this warehouse,” he said.

MedSup Medical clients, including hospitals, regional health boards and medical clinics, will still receive their personal protective equipment (PPE) as scheduled.

“All these customers, all these clients won’t see any effect on their delivery schedule or on their products,” he said.

Read more: Montreal first responder on life support in Barbados and how people are rallying for him

Read next: A talk with Merck Mercuriadis, the Canadian spending billions on acquiring song catalogues

The fire started Monday night and it took firefighters until Tuesday morning to extinguish the blaze. More than 100 were on the scene.

No one was inside the building when the fire started but one firefighter suffered minor injuries.

The building is adjacent to Highway 13 and near the Trudeau airport.

Local elected representatives were initially worried about safety in the area when the fire began.

“We had concerns because there was the pipeline for jet fuel that ran just under the property. So we were concerned for the airport. Thankfully, nothing happened,” Alan DeSousa, Saint-Laurent borough mayor, told Global News.

Sponsored content