An elementary school and a number of buildings on Quadra Street in Saanich, B.C. were evacuated as a precaution Wednesday, as crews responded to a gas leak.
Fortis BC said the leak happened just after 2 p.m. in the 3300-block of Quadra Street, when a third party struck a gas main.
“Our crews are working on the necessary repairs to our system and as a result, there are about 500 customers without gas service in the area,” FortisBC spokesperson Laura Lea said in an email.
“Our technicians are also onsite and once we complete repairs, they will go around to each affected home and relight appliances for customers. They will work into evening to restore service to as many customers as possible and return in the morning to continue this work for the remaining customers.”
The Greater Victoria School District said students were evacuated from Cloverdale Traditional Elementary due to a “construction incident” on Quadra Street, and were mustering in the back field to be picked up by their parents.